About the Union Vinicole du Liban
- The UVL was founded in 1997, one year after Lebanon joined the Office International de la Vigne et du Vin (OIV).
- The objective of the UVL is to consolidate and build on Lebanon’s image as a wine producing country by highlighting its proud history and promoting its potential.
- The UVL gives a voice to Lebanon’s wine producers, brings them together in one harmonized entity and defends their interests.
- It has developed legitimacy for Lebanon’s export ambitions within the EU and other international markets, such as the US and Canada.
- The UVL successfully lobbied for a new wine law, which was passed in 2000 (the old 1938 law, based on the French legal code, was arbitrarily thrown out in 1983).
- A National Wine Institute was created in 2013.
- The UVL is committed to developing wine tourism.